If you have your house listed for sale during the summer months while the children are off school it can be an added challenge. Or you can turn it around and use it as a motivational tool to teach your children some personal organization and disciplines that harkens back to their grandparent’s childhoods.
Delegation is key.
Get everyone in the household involved sharing the tasks. Consider it an opportunity to teach pride in their well tended home. Whether you are home with your children during the day or all leaving early for work, daycare or day camps hopefully these tips will prove helpful.
- First thing every morning have everyone open their bedroom windows to air out the house while you are getting prepared for the day.
- Teach everyone how to make their beds and where to tuck their pjs out of sight.
Have a caddy ready at hand with all purpose cleaner, glass cleaner, paper towels
and any other products you need for quick clean ups. The caddy can easily go
with you room to room for quick spot checks.
- Clear the surfaces of dishes and food after breakfast, load the dishwasher and wipe off table and counters.
- Sweep the kitchen floor.
- Tidy and freshen the bathrooms after the morning rituals are complete.
- Do a quick once over to make sure things are put away. You want your house presentable for unexpected showings while you are away.
- Before bedtime have everyone put their toy, sports gear and clothes away and out-of -sight. Vacuum and clean as needed once the kids are in bed.
- Remind everyone to keep the sidewalk, walkways, porches and steps free and clear or toys and clutter that prospect buyers could trip over. No chalk drawings!
- If possible hire a cleaning person once a week or dedicate time for cleaning and yard work on your days off.
- Keeping the grass cut and the gardens maintained is important for curb appeal and
giving an inviting view as prospective buyers drive by. Water the flowers!
- Reward yourselves for a job well done. Maybe it’s going out for ice cream or going to a movie. Let the kids know you appreciate their help.
Hopefully this regime can hold and become of your family’s new way of being in your new home.
The better it shows the quicker it sells! Spending more time playing outdoors, using local parks, pools and trails can help keep your house tidier too.
Bonnie Mullen has been selling urban and rural properties in Guelph and Wellington County since 1991.